Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Not a review

Okay, so A Long Way Down is a novel written by a guy named Nick Hornby. It's about four random people who want to commit suicide so they all go up to the top of a building to do it. They all meet each other (What a crazy coincidence) And in the end, they decide it should wait for another day. Cause jumping off when other people are there would just be awkward.

That is literally how the book starts. It's a dark comedy. Can you tell?

Again, I need to say: This is not a review. I'm getting to the important bit

Anyway, the four people are as follows:
Martin, a middle aged man who fucked up royally. He knows it though, and is trying to change.
It's not this guy who I relate most to

JJ is an American musician a little older than me who wanted to off himself cause he found exactly what he wanted to do with his life. But he failed at it. So now he has no idea what he's going to do from now on.
It's not him either

Jess is an insane fucked up teenager. She is so completely lost and has no idea what she's doing, not even moment to moment. Half the time she's just looking for someone to stop her.
Seriously, if you didn't get the pattern by now you're stupid. No offense

Maureen is a middle aged woman who, twenty years ago, had sex one time. She got pregnant, and, as it turns out, the kid was born in a coma. Seriously. And she spends the next twenty years taking care of him.
Right. So in case you can't count, she's the one I relate most to

That's right, I relate most to a woman who has spent the last fucking half of her life, a woman who is uncomfortable with the very idea with swearing, something which I just remembered like half a sentence ago. A woman who does something that she is 100% sure is wrong, cause she happens to be religious, cause she's so desperate to escape from her life.

I'm pretty sure I don't relate with her cause of that. I'm pretty sure.

Anyways, the reason she feels the most real to me of all of them, though The Writer (I put it in caps here cause I can't be bothered to look it up) happens to be a good writer, and they all feel fairly real, is cause she says one thing in particular.
She doesn't really feel the weight of things. She has no idea what to say, or how to say it, and so she avoids saying much of anything, if she can help it, cause she knows like 90% of what she says bothers people

Oh, and I dashed this out in notepad real quick, I'll spellcheck it later... probably

Edit: Okay, I just reread this, and I'm thinking... what the fuck? This makes no sense. I promise the next one will be better

No comments: